As Catholics, we are committed to contributing positively to our society; being of service to others – particularly those that have less and are more vulnerable.
Matthew 6: 24 – Jesus says: ‘You cannot serve both God and money’. Here, Jesus was teaching us about the common good; how we should seek what’s best for everyone – beginning with the last, the least, the most forgotten in our society.
We strive to be witnesses to Christ in the world through our words and actions.
At St Mary’s, we have our RE Chaplains, who are witnesses to our faith and live the Gospel values.
The role of our RE Chaplains is:
- To support the school in its Mission Statement.
- To help the school to be a community of faith.
- To develop good relationships within and beyond the school community.
- To support Liturgy’s, prayer and the spiritual life of St Mary’s School.
- To involve pupils in fundraising for charities.
- To continue to develop strong links with Holy Trinity Church and Fr Richard.
The Pupil Chaplains have lots of ideas of how they can fulfil their roles. Here are some of them:
- Help with preparations for our weekly Gospel assemblies.
- ‘Saints Day’ celebrations.
- Organise various charity fund-raising events.
- Suggest ideas for RE resources.
- Promote Bible stories.
- Maintain Mary’s Garden.
They have also thought about how they can work together.
Here are their five top tips to help them be a successful Chaplaincy Team this year:
- Listen to each other’s ideas.
- Communicate with all the team members, school and parish.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated
- Include everyone when making decisions.
- Wear your badge with pride and lead by example, love everyone and being friendly even with people you don’t get on with.
We also have our Mini Vinnies group, who turn their concerns into action. This group of children are involved in fundraising activities and social action projects which are chosen by them.
All children throughout the school are involved in social justice initiatives. These include fundraising for the Catholic Children’s Society; contributing to Love in a Box at Christmas; CAFOD fundraising for a purpose (eg, World Gifts); Mary’s Meals and Foodbank drives.
As a school, we contribute to local, national and international communities through our charity work.
Mini Vinnies 2019-20